Quantcast

AMD Trolls: Shows R9 290X VS GTX 780 at Nvidia's Event

AMD pulled a stunt and pissed off Nvidia at their own event.

AMD showed up at Nvidia's two day press event in Montreal. They rented a room across the street and started inviting reviewers over for a peak at the R9 290X vs the Nvidia GTX 780.

Reportedly, Nvidia set up a "bouncer" to block media members from entering, casually reminding them that Nvidia invited them and paid for their tickets.

Here are the results AMD is showing off:

BioShock Infinite (3840x2160, Ultra Settings)

• AMD Radeon R9 290X "Quiet Mode" average frame rate: 44.25
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 average frame rate: 37.67

Tomb Raider (3840x2160, Normal Preset w/ TressFX On Off)

• AMD Radeon R9 290X "Quiet Mode" average frame rate: 40.2
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 average frame rate: 34.5

See the rest of the info here: http://www.legitreviews.com/benchmarks-amd-radeon-r9-290x-versus-nvidia-geforce-gtx780_126653

This is a really dirty trick and it will probably steal a lot of the press surrounding Nvidia's event. I expect Nvidia will figure out a way to get revenge. What do you think?

Image stolen... er... borrowed from Legit Reviews.

Similar Items:

I hope it escalates.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

i agree as it would  force each manufacturer to up their game so to speak - so this could only mean good things such a better cards and lower prices

posted 5 months 4 weeks ago

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

All is fair in love and war

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

I enjoy guerrilla marketing, AMD is often not thought of as a heavy hitter, its always Nvidia the supreme.. this is a legit way of "revving their engine" throwing down the gauntlet for Nvidia to accept their challenge or lose face by pretending they are still the top dog...  when those two are actually trying to outdo each other the consumer wins, i want to see the innovation and competitive prices that come from the fallout of this... it doesnt matter what you prefer, this will benefit everyone. i wish AMD was more threatening to Intel so we could maybe see some giant leaps forward in that arena as well.

fight!

posted 5 months 3 weeks ago

I'm really surprised they aren't. I know they're behind Intel, but I think they atleast got their foot in the door with Vishera. With Intel yielding <10% improvement with each generation and Steamroller supposedly being ~30% faster than Piledriver, they could pack a serious punch with their 6 and 8 core configurations of a Steamroller based FX CPU, but from everything I've heard they're going strictly APUs for the foreseeable future.

posted 5 months 1 week ago

I was just thinking that myself after reading the article. If AMD was to throw stones at Intel like that we would see as the consumers movements by leaps and bounds. Long Live The Spirit Of Competition!

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Linus was talking about something about AMD across the street while he was live streaming.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

WIth nVidia and there constant sarcasm and knocking of AMD I am glad AMD pulled a stunt.Tress FX and Mantle are open source for anyone to use not just AMD and that is the mentality I support with my wallet.Once Eyefinity gets the frame stuttering sorted like the single screen drivers I will see no good reason to game on nVidia. Especially if Steam OS gets game streaming sorted (the only benefit nvidia still have with Shield and H264 encoding).

posted 5 months 3 weeks ago

Well, I'm sure if Mantle is adopted it will work better with AMD GPUs/drivers. I highly doubt AMD developed a new API just for the sake of having a better API than DirectX.

Ahahahah this is great.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

i wonder if nvidia is going to black list the reviewers that actually were able to get in.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

gotta love the intel test benches

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Trying to show off the 290X with AMD-optimized titles.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Market competition in action? I'd rather have a few butt hurt marketing reps than get stuck with what they want us to have. Can you imagine what the Xbone would still be without the direction Sony went? If only we had more than the two to choose from though.

Not that it's relevant, but damn is the GTX 780 sexy as hell compared to that block of cheap plastic. :TrollFace:

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

really can't say much without an unbiased tester.

AMD could have OC'd their cards, picked a good chip, underclocked nVidia's, used AMD optimized games, etc.

Too much potential for tampering.

Well they did use AMD optimized games :P

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Actually, nVidia cards seem to do better in Bioshock compared to other games. Usually, the 7970 is right around the 770, but the 770 is leaving it behind in Bioshock, so I don't think that it is fair to say that they picked AMD optimized games. TressFX was a given though :P

posted 5 months 4 weeks ago

Just like to point out that your chart doesn't have the 290x like the one in the story.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Very true, I wouldn't be surprised if they did exactly that.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Those are AMD optimized games. Oh hey look, Nvidia is doing a thing there, I wonder if there'll only be Nvidia optimized games there. Nah I'm kidding, I'm not wondering. It's only natural and logical.

Nvidia would've done the same thing if only they thought of it first. Or maybe Hawaii was too expensive to get to.

Also, if you've been looking through tech sites long enough, you'd notice there's barely any that is truly unbiased. The best way of benchmarking is doing your own research, get different setups both hardware and software and do it yourself. Every site or writer has their own bias and they all make horrible mistakes at one point or another. But hey, when it comes to AMD "we wait for benchmarks because they cannot possibly be better than my beloved brand". What if your so called unbiased testers come to the conclusion that they are better? You'll just find another excuse.

These were never meant to be taken too seriously and was just to annoy Nvidia. Sad that you couldn't see that, oh well.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Although  the AMD card was running on a "quiet mode", meaning there is probably a "performance" mode that performs better, so these benchmark doesn't shows the true guts of the 290X either.

party crashers....I like it

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Oh pretty please make it escalate! Go AMD! I really want to see nVidia backed into their trenches and pull out the biggest card their factories can process. I want to see a GTX790 hit the market far more than a Titan Ultra! Then I will throw my money at them like strippers at an open beer tap night! ALL THE MONEYS!

posted 6 months 9 hours ago

then AMD will just pull out 20nm.... Global Foundries fab plant that makes AMD gpu's has the capability to go down to 20nm, on their 300mm wafers.

posted 6 months 8 hours ago

If they can make 20nm gpus, why don't they?

posted 6 months 5 hours ago

why would they? not enough incentive. profit margins wouldn't be high enough, and nvidia isn't pushing them hard enough.

posted 5 months 1 week ago

Because if mantle is based on direct access to the GPU hardware, then radically changing the architecture by going to a new fabrication process would throw a spanner into the works. If they do start pushing Mantle then I really doubt that they will be making any serious leaps in hardware, as they would require a new revision of the API.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

The article on Anandtech has different results. So does the article on Tom's Hardware. I don't know why they all are different.http://www.anandtech.com/show/7424/amd-radeon-r9-290x-performance-preview-bioshock-infinitehttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-290x-benchmark-performance,24732.html

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

You manage to pull up possibly the two worst sites out there, congratulations are in order.

Toms benchmark doesn't use even close to the same settings.

Anandtech doesn't specify the other hardware so the difference in fps (they're both lower) could just as well be a cpu or other bottleneck. Who knows.

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

What is wrong with Anandtech and TomsHardware? And from what I understand AMD performed the benchmarks and released the results. Besides don't be such a douche about it.

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

Ignorance is bliss eh. :)

posted 6 months 9 hours ago

From toms hardware (the link you provided):

There’s not much more I can say at this point, except that I have several cards tested at 3840x2160, and R9 290X doesn’t just [sic] do well against the GeForce GTX 780…

Notice where the "just" is, I italicized it. Does this mean the 290x competes with the Titan? Who knows (until the NDA lifts, duh!). Now imagine if that said "just doesn't," that would be sad.

Just thought that was interesting. Others are chatting about it too on Reddit and the comments of the article.

With that, I should probably get back to the lab before I get myself into trouble.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

Now that is some hilarious marketing.

posted 6 months 13 hours ago

To think I almost bought a new amd card...

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

Probably payback for what Nvidia did with dice behind Amd's back.

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

I think that the Nvidia bouncer part is a bit crazy. Hope that Nvidia would be better than that.

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

It is a cool stunt, but just release the NDA already, it is getting a bit ridiculous. The card is looking really good, if we just knew the price!

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

Whats wrong with a little competition. More side by side comparisons are needed to show people how much of a ripoff Nvidia is... well the 7xx series isn't horrible but I still don't see value in it. AMD is on top in every class right now for a fraction of the price.

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

First Intel now Nvidia, AMD is all about crashing others party's. Also alot of 780 benchmarks for BioShock Infinite running at 4k show FPS numbers around 44 to 45 FPS.I hope intel and Nvidia show up to one of AMD's things and trash them.

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

I just love the honest competition in the marketplace, as consumers this is a great win/win moment for us. We have tons of good graphics cards and hopefully they'll all be very affordable soon. The fun poking at each other is good too. Please AMD have some miracle and release some new CPUs soon. I worry that while the 8350 is probably the best sub $200.00 USD CPU right now, that AMD has got nothing up it's sleeve, but let's hope my theory is wrong! Go Red Team!

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

HAHAHA, this is awesome :D

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

Oh well, with the industrial espionage nVidia committed in the last two years at the detriment of AMD (and for which they were busted, but still knew to "sponsor" out of the mainstream press), AMD still has quite a way to go before they are even. nVidia is entitled to the same they did to AMD plus years of interest.

nVidia should be ecstatic with how much stupid luck they have, that windows is still an issue, because in terms of performance outside of the closed source windows bubble, their GPUs stink. The Titan has a peak floating point performance of just over 1 TFlops, less than a third than an AMD 7970, and it costs a hell of a lot less to make than even an AMD 7870, AMD cards are much more expensive to make than nVidia cards, yet because the consumer software platform is so ancient and handicapped, nVidia still succeeds in selling more of their products for higher prices than AMD, with huge profit margins to buy marketing and sponsor review sites. There is nothing that AMD can do to nVidia that isn't natural justice.

posted 6 months 12 hours ago

Nvidia stops OriginPC from selling AMD, AMD crashes their shit and decimates their GPU line.

Sounds like an even trade-off.

posted 6 months 11 hours ago

That's exactly what I was thinking.. pay back for the OriginPC thing .. guess we are the only ones that read that or the only ones that remember.

posted 6 months 6 hours ago

No I read it too a few weeks back.Total BS, it is similar to price fixing. Maybe nVidia is locking consumers in before they find out that Mantle + Next gen console code = no catching up for nVidia?

posted 6 months 11 hours ago

Hooray for competition :)

posted 6 months 10 hours ago