Quantcast

Intel CEO Says "The PC is not going away anytime soon, if ever"

Intel's CEO, Paul Otellini, recently sat down with Bloomberg Businessweek to discuss the current world of computing.

Paul Otellini seems to really get it. Here are some key quotes from his interview in Bloomberg Businessweek:

"We’re moving from the era of the personal computer to the era of personal computing, and that means that there are going to be computers all around us and in different form factors. The PC is not going to go away anytime soon, if ever. It’s going to continue to evolve. Right now, it’s the most powerful tool you can have, but it doesn’t mean that there won’t be tablets or phones or even connected cars. The beauty of all these things is, if you get it right, the sum total of them has more value than the individual devices. That’s the model that we’re working toward.

I’ve seen a lot of changes in my 40 years in the industry... This is evolution. I’m not sure there is anything revolutionary here. I think every generation tends to discount the stuff before them. And that reminds me: It was that famous Ronald Reagan story that when somebody came up to him and said, “You know, you guys have it so easy today. You’ve got all these phones and faxes and things.” He said, “You forget one thing, my son. We had to invent all those.

While there are some really interesting moments where you see great leaps forward—and I would put the iPhone in that category—it’s not like it was the first thing. I mean, you see this being argued out in the IP courts today of who had a phone that was similar to that. Who had swipe gesturing 10 years ago, those kinds of things."

When asked about the near future he said:

"...You’re going to have a multitude of devices. They’re all going to be interconnected. I mean, it’s closer to Star Trek than we are today."

Read the full interview here: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-08-09/paul-otellini-on-intel-and-the-pcs-evolution

posted 1 year 8 months ago

I always hate when people say "*insert generation younger than yours* have it so easy today". No shit, we are supposed to be trying to improve the quality of life. That statement can be said for EVERY generation going all the way back to men in caves. So it doesnt even make sense to try and talk about how people younger than you have it easier, because anyone saying that, also had it easier than people older than them.

posted 1 year 8 months ago

The term "PC", if you really think about, it is quite broad. Technically speaking your phone, tablet, and even a handheld calculator are ALL "personal computers". So from that point of view, yes, PCs aren't going anywhere.

However, if your view on a PC is the typical chunky desktop, I believe that will slowly fade as we continue to get more power from smaller hardware. I hope it doesn't, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

posted 1 year 8 months ago

yes phone, tablet, all  desktops that means apple aswell :) and even a handheld calculator are ALL "personal computers". the desktop PC will never go away because of PC gams, Game Dev, and Game Modding and you will never need to recharge a desktop PC :)

posted 1 year 8 months ago

tech evolution right on and kids do have it way easier today my generation did not have cell phones tell highschool my generation learned and grow up as the technology got to where it is now and kids now days just have it there and dont even know its history or how and why its made the way its made, The PC is not going to go away anytime soon, if ever thanks to the few of the younger generation that wont the tech evolution to contenu. :)

posted 1 year 8 months ago

I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment of generational interest in computing.  There are plenty of people from older generations who didn't keep their finger on the pulse, so to speak, about technology as it was evolving.  Now, though, there are plenty of people in all generations who see how (increasingly) powerful technology is, and they've taken the time to learn both where it has come from and how it is used currently.

The younger generations have an advantage over older ones in that they've grown up with this more advanced technology, so their tendency is to be slightly less technophobic--but I'm not sure if this applies only to simple uses of technology or whether it extends to their being more willing to learn how it all works.

I think it's still all on an individual level, not a generation-specific level, though.  You get innovators of all ages.  There will probably be people of all generations looking to move technology forward.

posted 1 year 8 months ago

what eve...  the desktop PC will never go away because of PC gams, Game Dev, and Game Modding and you will never need to recharge a desktop PC :)

posted 1 year 8 months ago

The desktop PC will not go away because it is a creation machine not a consumption machine. Gaming is not the savoir of the desktop PC. It's part of it, but not the whole. Major production/productivity software like Office, Creative Suite, AutoCAD, 3DS Max, CINEMA 4D, etc. will hold up the PC more than PC gaming will because you can game on a lot of other devices than just a PC, I'm not so sure the number of devices you can run AutoCad and CINEMA 4D on is quite as extensive.

posted 1 year 8 months ago

What if hardware becomes so powerful and so small that you wouldn't need it in your house? Everything streamed over the internet is basically what I'm saying.

posted 1 year 8 months ago

And the man is damn right, its freaking hard to move my heavy case, maybe i shouldnt sit all day