Quantcast

Hitman Absolution Director Apologises for Sexy Nun Trailer - Still Misses the Point

In an interview with IGN, The Hitman Absolution Game Director apologized for offending people. However, he still does not get it.

The latest Hitman Absolution trailer follows a band of sexy nuns as they try to take out Agent 47. Of course, that doesn't happen. Agent 47 violently takes each of them out. Then, the internet exploded in a torrent of criticism.

Tore Blystad, the game director, addressed the criticism in a recent interview with IGN:

"We’re sorry that we offended people – that was truly not the intention of the trailer. We were surprised that it turned into such a huge topic. Something similar happened with our Sniper Challenge pre-order bonus... We just wanted to make something cool, it wasn’t the intention to stir up anything.... The Hitman games as a series has always been extreme in many ways...The religious themes have been there from the very beginning, along with outlandish party scenes. And there are a lot of movie influences in Hitman Absolution, like Tarantino and Rodriguez. The grindhouse theme is something that we’re using throughout the game. It tends more towards sixties exploitation movies – these were a fascination [for us] because they were so extreme."

It's good that he seems apoligetic, however, it's beside the point. I, and I believe that most other gamers would agree (let me know), that the video is not exactly offensive. We have the internet, we see worse every day. The video is insulting. It is sexist, of poor taste, and it panders to us as if we were slobbering halfwits willing to purchase anything we can fap to. IO and Square Enix obviously have a low opinion of their audience.

I don't want IO and Square Enix to be apologetic for offending us. I want them to apologize for their marketing methods. Furthermore, I want them to understand why all there is controversy in the first place. The trailer gets "downvotes" and "dislikes" because the audience feels insulted. We just don't want to be pandered to. We want something deeper than a few sexy nuns and a bloody battle.

I believe things are slowly moving in a good direction. Most of the marketing still sucks, but gamers are finally speaking out and it's time the big publishers step back and hear us. Give us something meaningful (some gameplay footage, a bit of the story, even something sexy with a more mature context). We will listen and, if it's good, we will like it.

I truly hope this article gets back to Blystad (and some of the other game directors out there). The industry needs to understand why there is an outcry.

Let me know what you think about all this. I presumed to speak for the great majority of you out there. Let me know if you disagree.

Oh, and for reference, here is the sexy trailer:

posted 1 year 10 months ago

I'm angery because the trailer does not portray women as weak and helpless housewives. /sarcasm

I just don't understand peoples thinking sometimes.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

It isn't cool to portray them that way either... but  I'm not sure what you mean by this comment, elaborate?

posted 1 year 10 months ago

People are complaining about this because it is 'violence against women' (or at least that is what is all over the youtube trailer) so I sarcasticly took it in the exact opposite direction. Which ironicly nobody seems to get all up in arms about.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

Oh, right.. that makes sense. I think a lot of people are outraged for no reason... the girls were trying to kill Agent 47... so hell yes he has the righ to kill them. I am actually looking forward to playing that mission... But, my complaint is more with the marketing and how they are pandering to us.. not the content of the game.

The game developers are marketing guys are different... I am trying to make enough noise to attract the marketing team's attention. I'm really asking for them to do better work.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

I noticed the illuminati symbol on one of the nuns arm. Not the first time I see this shit.  It appears all of the big publishers belongs to illuminati.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

you mean the Masanic Order? LMFAO George Washington was a mason. They actually used to run this country and died for it. Not only is that fascinating but in D.C they also have 33rd degree Masonic Council lmfaoo

posted 1 year 10 months ago

The only problem I have with the trailer is that it doesn't explain what's going on in the story line. Game developers can put as many sexy women in their trailers as they want to as long as they're not making a blatantly obvious attempt to only focus on the sex and nothing else (like what they did with Ghost Recon).

You actually get to see some of the game with this trailer, so that's fine in my opinion. The only real thing wrong with it is that it doesn't tell you what the story is about. It's like when a bad movie comes out and they just show you all the really cool action sequences in the previews. You're left wondering at the end of the preview, "ok...what is this movie even about?"

That's kind of what this video game preview is doing, but I personally feel that it does it in a better way. It makes you want to find out what's going on rather than just blowing it off. It teases, and sometimes that's all that trailers are designed to do. They would be wise to release another trailer later on that explains some of the story elements though. They would get more sales that way at least.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

I fucking loved the trailer.  Sexy nuns and gunplay.  How the fuck can you hate it.  Hitman was always religious...always.  Anyone who is offended by this needs to get their vagina sewn shut so they can't reproduce and bring more PC, easily offended babies into the world.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

Yeah, I liked it too. I would just like to find out more about the story, but I guess that's my own fault for never playing any of the hitman games.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

EDIT- I was sounding angry... so I wanted to make sure everyone knows I'm not. I just want everyone on the internet to die because I'm a fat baby!!! lol... no really. I don't feel like the comments are really addressing what I was takling about in the article. I never said there was anything wrong with sexy nuns. I don't even mind a sex scene so long as it makes sense in the story.

My problem is that we are being pandered to and lapping it up. It is not OK to demand something a little more sophisticated from the Hitman franchise? I have been playing them since the first game. I loved all the sneaking, the options, the tricks... This shows off none of the intellectual elements... it's base and I feel it was a waste of time... If I want sexy nuns I can google it. I'd rather IO put their money into making the game better.

I would not be talking about this if it were a different franchise. I used to love the hitman games.  I really don't want them to be dumbed down... the trailer was just sexy girls, explosions, and death... meh.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

Sex Sells, especially to younger (just hit puberty) teens. Society still sees Video Games as an item for kids. There are more and more people everyday that are getting tired of things like this but we are the minority and they want to sell there games to the majority.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

I get what you're saying, but you can't really judge a game just by watching a trailer for it. I mean, you can have an issue with a company's marketing campaign, but just because they're marketing it one way doesn't mean they're completely and totally changing the game mechanics.

Game developers have released trailers like this before, and it's solely to get people riled up about the game. Obviously, when you have a trailer like Ghost Recon did, that's just offensive to gamers' intelligence and probably also women in general, but I can't speak for women. The difference here is that you actually get to see some of the in-game artwork or overall mood of the game. I don't see that as being a problem as long as it ties into the overall story somehow even if it is just a small aspect of the story.

If I were a teenager in high school and a big fan of the hitman series, I'd probably be analyzing every frame of this trailer just trying to get a hint at what the story is going to be about this time around. I would imagine that a trailer like this would accomplish getting such a reaction.

Just because a trailer is styled a certain way doesn't mean the game will be styled that way. It's just a way to grab attention. I enjoyed it, but I've never played Hitman before, so maybe I'm missing something. I always figured it was more of a stealth game with lots of blood and the occasionaly shit-hits-the-fan gunfight every now and then.

posted 1 year 10 months ago

Oh hey look.  It's a marketing campaign that did it's job.  Now everyone is talking about the upcoming Hitman game.  I think this "sexy nun" trailer did a lot more, in terms of getting people to talk about/come to learn of the impending new Hitman game, then any actual gameplay footage would.  I still stand by my vagina comment though.

Marketing of late, at least that done by the original company or a marketing company the original company hires, is not focused on telling you what the product is really about.  It's focused on a few facets that get people talking and want to further research the product.  The true meat and potatoes (e.g. story elements, background, purpose, etc.) seem to be brought out by journalistic reviews of the product (don't even get me started on crooked video game journalism).

This trailer is just a classic example of new marketing.  Get people to recognize you have a new product coming out and further research it/talk about it.  Watch Dogs is the exception (although it shouldn't be).

I liked it! :D