Quantcast

A Windows App to Play EA Origin games on your TV

| posted 8 months 3 weeks ago

A Windows App to Play EA Origin games on your TV

Hi everyone, it's my first post here but wanted to share what I've started working on to get feedback, opinions and ideas. There's a long way to go until a final release version but I wanted to get some support and interest built up if you think it's worthwhile...?

Here's a screenshot:

http://imgur.com/u5K22WD

Ideally I want to work on this full time, at the moment I'm in full time employment so the only way Ill be able to work full time is to eventually get funding or donations BUT I'm not asking for that here! I really just want to get some initial feedback and exposure for my work and let you know about Glow (that's the app name).

I believe Steam OS/Big Picture is a good app, however there's not an easy way to run Origin, or any other clients' games on your TV using a controller. This is where I see Glow filling a niche. Glow will be able to launch your Windows EA Origin games (possibly UPlay and others in future).The app will be released for free but advertising will fund the development and maintenance going forward. I want to be as open as possible with the development and progress of the app and would love to get your interaction and feedback along the way.

There's more features to announce at a later date but for now that's all I've got to offer. Let me know what you think!

Thanks all! :)

Sign in or Register to post comments
posted 8 months 3 weeks ago

People already have hardline beta and I don't D:

Looks really nice, definitely something that you could put your name to quite happily. Try to keep the interface big picture like but not a direct clone, maybe make it so it edits the settings of the games so they launch in full screen?

Hi Kai, thanks for the reply! :) Glow will definitely launch games in fullscreen for a seamless experience. It's running as a custom ui over the top of Windows at the moment and I see community input to be a big driving factor in features and what gets developed next. The idea is for Glow to be run on custom hardware or pre-built PC's like the iBuypower SBX and Alienware Alpha Steam Machines. This will remove the need for keyboard and mouse operation for launching non-Steam PC games.

Maybe have an option to auto start a smaller simpler two button fullscreen app with Windows.

PC boots up and automatically logs in, opens up a selection screen with 'Steam Big Picture Mode' or 'Origin Glow', would make the whole experience for both a lot smoother.

That sounds like a nice option to give users. I need to look into how I can launch steam / steam games through Glow but it's definitely on the list.

posted 8 months 2 weeks ago

It's web addresses.

Each steam game has a unique address, for instance when you make a desktop icon for Team Fortress 2 is links to "steam://rungameid/440"

I was suggesting a way to open big picture mode, but making your own big picture mode would be even better. Maybe put corner banners in each game's icon with either the steam logo + grey or origin logo + orange? Like the new banner on a Origin game you just activated

Cool. Thanks for your input!

I don't get why Origin and UPlay don't have some Steam integration where all you need is one profile to connect all your games through one service and connect to Origin and UPlay through Steam...

Exactly. I want to release Glow to eventually solve this issue. So far, as a gamer myself, I have the following software apps installed and all have games I've bought through them. My gaming experience is becoming more and more fragmented and it's getting worse.

• EA Origin
  • Ubisoft Uplay
  • GreenManGaming Capsule
  • Desura
  • GameStop App
  • Valve Steam

I'm even sure there are more, just can't remember them all now!

Please, elaborate on this 'GameStop App' and 'GreenManGaming Capsule' and what their functions are? 

I do not believe I've ever ran into these services, certainly not the GameStop one...from what I've been told from my "peeps" across the pond it's a place to avoid.

Make sure you can add non-client games too, preferably a system like Origins with the great full cover art which would be wonderful for those of us with less known games so we don't have to make our own banners for them (ugh).

Weird thing is I love the aesthetics of Origin, wish steam looked like it. I love Steam as a service better, Uplay can die. Games for Windows Live is dead but I'm downloading Microsoft Flight right now and it's probably going to make me sign up for it (used it before, deleted account).

Definitely want to get all those things done but to get a release out the door sooner rather than later, Glow will start off with a limited feature set and iterate on that, bringing new features on a regular basis.

Info on the gamestop app can be found here: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/pc-game-downloads/

and GreenManGaming Capsule: http://www.greenmangaming.com/client/

Will you make a interface for mouse and keyboard (windowed) and full screen gamepad or just full screen gamepad for now?

My current management for games is desktop icons with Fences;

http://s28.postimg.org/8i9x5l398/Screenshot_2014_06_15_21_56_24.jpg

When you look at that every time you boot up your PC you wonder why nobody has made a all in one client, and finally someone with the skills to do so that I can send pent up ideas to...

Wow, yeah that's a busy desktop! I would love for Glow to be able to help with this in future.

I hadn't seen that before. It was pretty amusing to watch. :)

I just want to create an experience that fixes fundamental issues I've had with my PC gaming for a long time. Having a single place to launch my games from and being able to launch them easily on my TV are the areas that bugged me most. I kept hoping one of the big players would have solved this by now but a viable solution never came. I want to do what's right by the community and create something that everyone can take advantage of, and as a community project, I want to get lot's of feedback and suggestions along the way. It's a journey I hope lots of us can take together. My initial plan is just to get a controller based layout sorted for big screen TV's first but after that Glow could evolve and become whatever the community wants it to be.